- Distinguishing characteristics:
In the Wild
- Habitat: Brackish and salty waters commonly on oyster reefs.
- Diet: Plankton via water filtration.
- Predators: Parasites MSX and Dermo. Blue crabs, Atlantic oyster drill, American oystercatcher, veined rapa whelk
- Size: Up to 8 inches
- Breeding: Spawn in early summer and females can release 100 million eggs.
In the Aquatics Lab
- Virginia Regulations: Oysters have to be 3 inches long to be kept. There are also lots of regulations about when and where they can be caught.
- Commercial Uses: Oysters are harvested and sold for human consumption.