- Distinguishing characteristics: stripes, flat, tall body, triangular dorsal and anal fins
In the Wild
- Habitat: A spadefish lives in saltwater.
- Diet: Spadefish eat algae and small invertebrates.
- Predators: Humans and larger fish eat spadefish.
- Size: Spadefish get to be around 35 inches, 19.8 pounds.
- Breeding: They have a spawning season of May through September
- Life Span: They live for 8-10 years
In the Aquatics Lab
- Diet: They eat squid.
- Size: They are 8-12 inches.
- Quantity: We have four spadefish of the six that were donated to us by the Virginia Tech Seafood Agriculture Research Extension Center in Hampton, VA.
- Virginia Regulations: You can only have 4 per person on the boat.
- Commercial Use: Spadefish are sold as a food source.