- Distinguishing characteristics: The white mullet is dark gray to blue along the back. Has a yellow spot on the gill plate.
In the Wild
- Habitat: White mullet are found in the coastal waters from Cape Cod to Brazil. They will enter estuaries and prefer salinity above 8ppt.
- Diet: Detritus and algae
- Predators: White mullet are a part of the diet of many predatory fish and birds.
- Size: Up to 1.5 feet.
- Breeding: White mullet become sexually mature at 2 and spawn offshore.
- Life Span: Up to 5 years.
In the Aquatics Lab
- Quantity: 0
- Virginia Regulations: none
- Commercial Uses: There is no commercial fishery for white mullet except in Florida.
Murdy, E.O., and J.A. Musick. Field Guide to Fishes of the Chespeake Bay. 2013. The Johns Hopkins University Press. Baltimore, MD.