- Distinguishing characteristics: They have no scales. Brownish-green in color along the back and sides while paler on the belly. 8-10 vertical bars.
In the Wild
- Habitat: Estuaries especially on oyster reefs
- Diet: Crustaceans and worms
- Predators: The larvae are a part of the diet of many forage fishes.
- Size: Up to 2.5 inches
- Breeding: Spawn in late spring and commonly nest in dead oyster shells.
In the Aquatics Lab
- Diet: brine shrimp
- Size: about an inch
- Quantity: 1
- Virginia Regulations: none
- Commercial Uses: none
Murdy., E.O. and J.A. Musick. Field Guide to Fishes of the Chesapeake Bay. 2013. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.