- Distinguishing characteristics: It is one of the most common fish in the Chesapeake Bay and in the Barnegat Bay.
In the Wild
- Habitat: It lives places ranging from the Gulf of St. Lawrence in Canada to northeastern Florida in USA.
- Diet: Crustaceans, algae, annelid worms, shrimp, zooplankton, copepods, amphipods, squid, and insects.
- Predators: Striped Bass and Blue Fish
- Size: 6 inches
- Breeding: Reach maturity at 1 year. Spawning dependent on moon phase. Eggs are attached to marsh grass or algae.
- Life Span: 2 yrs
In the Aquatics Lab
- Diet: Brine Shrimp
- Size: 3 Inches long
- Quantity: 1
- Virginia Regulations: None
- Commercial Uses: None
“Menidia Menidia Summary Page.” FishBase. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 June 2014
“Main Page.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 28 June 2014. Web. 28 June 2014.