- Distinguishing characteristics: The bluegill has dark shades of blue on its head and chin. They have a blue lining on the gill rakers.
In the Wild
- Habitat: They live in the shallow water of lakes and ponds.
- Diet: They eat aquatic insects, crayfish, snails and other small fish.
- Predators: Their predators include catfish, bass and turtles
- Size: They get up to 16 inches long
In the Aquatics Lab
- Diet: We feed one of the bluegill 3 worms and the other smaller bluegill is fed flake food.
- Size: One bluegill is about 3-4 inches and the other blue gill is about 6-7 inches.
- Quantity: We have 2 bluegill at BTW.